What is the best time of day to take Wegovy?
Yes, it’s recommended that you take Wegovy on the same day every week at a time that is most convenient for you. What is the best time of day to take Wegovy?
WEGOVY (SEMAGLUTIDE) DOSING INSTRUCTIONS
Wegovy has a maximum approved dose of 2.4 mg per week. It is administered by using a pen injector, which delivers the medication just under the skin’s surface. Before using the full treatment dose, starting and intermediate doses of GLP-1 agonists are given before titrating up to the full treatment dose. This is done to reduce the gastrointestinal side effects of GLP-1 agonists.
Wegovy (semaglutide) comes in five dose strengths:
- 0.25 mg
- 0.5 mg
- 1 mg
- 1.7 mg
- 2.4 mg
Following your healthcare provider’s instructions, Wegovy (semaglutide) dosing is according to the following schedule:
- Month 1: (weeks 1-4): take 0.25 mg each week
- Month 2: (weeks 5-8): take 0.5 mg each week
- Month 3: (weeks 9-12): take 1 mg each week
- Month 4: (weeks 13-16): take 1.7 mg each week
- Month 5: (weeks 17 and onward): 2.4 mg each week (full dose)
According to the manufacturer, you can take Wegovy with or without food. The auto-injecting pen is a single preset dose. The needle is hidden to prevent injury. Before administering Wegovy, check:
- Expiration date: Look at the expiration date on the back of the pen.
- Dose: Verify that you are taking the prescribed dose, whether you are in the escalation sequence or at your maintenance (full dose).
- Pen window: Verify that the medication appears to be clear and colorless. Air bubbles do not affect the medication.
WEGOVY (SEMAGLUTIDE) INJECTION SITE AND DOSE INSTRUCTIONS
Before injecting Wegovy, the needle is hidden inside the pen. After injection, the needle cover will lock into place. There is no best time of day to inject Wegovy (semaglutide), so take it whenever it works best for you. What is the best time of day to take Wegovy.
- Collect your supplies: Wegovy pen injection, one alcohol wipe or soap and water, one gauze pad, and one sharps container for disposing of used Wegovy pens.
- Consider leaving your pen out to reach room temperature before using it.
- Wash your hands.
- Choose your injection site (check for rashes, bruising, or other blemishes). Injection sites include
- Upper arm
- Upper leg (front of the thigh)
- Lower stomach (at least 2 inches from the belly button)
- Clean the injection area with alcohol or soap and water.
- Remove the pen cap right before you are ready to inject your medication. Do not touch or push on the needle cover.
- Push the pen against the skin until the yellow bar has stopped moving. You will hear two clicks; one indicates that the injection has started, and the other indicates an ongoing injection. The injection process will take about 10 seconds.
Wegovy should be stored in the refrigerator, but if needed, before removing the pen cap, Wegovy can be stored from 8°C to 30°C (46°F to 86°F) in the original carton for up to 28 days. Keep Wegovy in its original container to protect it from light.
As with all medications, contact your healthcare provider if you have any questions about your medication dosage or how to administer it. Your monthly supply of Wegovy should include four pen injectors preloaded with the appropriate dose. Administer one dose each week and monitor for any side effects. Contact the medical professionals at Invigor Medical to discuss weight-management options and solutions that best meet your goals.